March 24, 2005

Snapshot of what I'm into

Watched “Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind” – loved it. Almost all the way through Simon Schama’s “History of Britain” series, second time ‘round. Managed to sleep through the Peasants’ Revolt though, so I need to rewatch. Often watch the Simpsons, but looking forward to rewatching Futurama instead as I’m actually getting Simpsons-fatigue. Looking forward to the first episode of new Doctor Who on BBC1 this Saturday. Expectations neutral, but Christopher Ecclestone looks fine in trailers. I grew up with Tom Baker’s Doctor (not literally – we didn’t do our homework together on Gallifrey).

Started reading too many different books. Been reading for longest Bulgakov’s “Master and Margarita” a strange Russian novel, written about 1940, didn’t see light of day until mid 60s. Also have on go Evelyn Waugh “Scoop” 30s satire about world of journalism, Russell Hoban “The Medusa Frequency” – a British writer I’ve not read since “The Mouse and his Child” which I read at school, and it left a haunting impression. Also Salman Rushdie “Midnight’s Children”, which looks to be as impressive a read as Gunter Grass’ “The Tin Drum”. Hopefully I’ll lock my focus in on one of these and actually finish something!

Last week I listened to a lot of punk and new wave classics from the late 70s – X Ray Specs, Wire, The Pop Group, etc. Today I’m stretching out a bit with string quartets by various Finnish composers, the most well known being Rautavaara. Basically I have an addiction to 20th Century chamber music, and if it’s a string quartet, I’ll listen whoever it’s by. Before that, I was thrilling to Manuel De Falla’s “El Amor Brujo” or “Love the Magician” as it’s translated, which has the famous Fire Dance in it.

I’m off to pack a bag for our Easter getaway.
Have a peaceful and happy Easter everybody.

1 Comments:

Blogger Eucharisto said...

Haven't seen Eternal Sunshine, but I've heard great things about it. I'll see it someday. Happy easter to you, too!

4:34 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home